On our way from Florence to Venice, we spent the day in Bologna. We met Elena -our local specialist- and started a tour of the city. Bologna, is the capital of Emilia-Romagna region, between the Reno and Savena rivers. It lies at the northern foot of the Apennines.
Its architecture is noted for its palette of terracotta reds, burnt oranges, and warm yellows, hence the name of Bologna la rossa (Bologna the red). The extensive town center, characterized by miles of attractively covered walkways, known as "porticos," is one of the best-preserved in Europe.
We visited the Piazza Maggiore, a large pedestrian square located in the monumental center of the old part of the city, surrounded by the Basilica of San Petronio, the City Hall Building, the portico dei Banchi, Fountain of Neptune - built in 1563 by Tommaso Laureti of Palermo later embellished by Jean de Boulogne- and the Palazzo del Podestà.
We strolled around the market and had lunch at one of the Mom and pop stores that lined the street.